The college admission essay is an essay students write to send to prospective colleges along with their applications. It is a prevalent aspect of the college admissions process, and hundreds of thousands of students write these essays every year. These essays are read thoroughly by the admissions officers of respective colleges, thus placed with an ultimatum of the student’s acceptance or rejection. Though all aspects of a student’s application are considered, the essay offers a much more personal experience for admissions officers searching to know you. The essay is the most clear-cut way to ensure admission offers to know you for you.
Some colleges require multiple essays, but there are also colleges where the essay is optional. Understanding each student’s options in writing their essay(s) is detrimental to shifting your application. Many admission officers had said essays could bring a rejected candidate up to acceptance, wherein the application before the essay pointed towards a rejection status. The essay is one of the most influential aspects of college applications, so it is incredibly worth dedicating effort. It could turn your rejection into acceptance.
This course will take students through planning and writing the admission essay for applying to colleges. Guiding students by finding their essay options and brainstorming essay ideas, the course will begin by helping students find their topics before beginning to write. Students will then learn how to structure and begin writing the essay. Questions like, “how do I start writing?” and “what details should I include?” will be answered here. After, students have access to multiple tips and Dos and Don’ts, including some from Ivy League students and admissions officers.
- Students will learn how to find information on essay options and topics for colleges
- Students will learn how to brainstorm essay topics and plan out writing
- Students will learn the building blocks of the admissions essay
- Students can apply tips to their writing and learn how to revise
Course developed by Nadya Gorbuleac & Nathan Valera
Frank, Julie Ferber. Crushing the Common App Essay: a Foolproof Guide to Getting into Your Top College. Sterling Publishing Co., 2018.
Tanabe, Gen, and Kelly. 50 Successful Ivy League Application Essays. Belmont, SuperCollege, LLC, 2017.
Example - Nadya
- College Admissions Essay (1.1) Introduction Quiz
- Lesson 1 – How to Find Your Topic
- College Admissions Essay (1.1) Final Quiz
- College Admissions Essay (2.1) Introduction Quiz
- Lesson 2 – The Structure of Your Essay
- College Admissions Essay (2.1) Final Quiz
- College Admissions Essay (3.1) Introduction Quiz
- Lesson 3 – Final Specific Tips!
- College Admissions Essay (3.1) Final Quiz
- College Admissions Essay (4.1) Introduction Quiz
- Lesson 4 – Revise and Edit
- College Admissions Essay (4.1) Final Quiz